Being an author in today’s day and age takes more than a notebook and a pen. You need resources you can count on. Whether you are looking for resources to help you stay organized, publish your book, or get reviews, you’ll find a quality resources you can trust on this page.
Recommended Resources for Christian Authors
Christian authors obviously need resources for writing their books. In this section, you’ll find several word processors to choose from. Along with another tool or two you can use when it comes to writing your books.
- Microsoft Office – Microsoft Office is your basic word processor. It also does spreadsheets, powerpoints, email, notes, team management has it’s own cloud, and so much more.
- Open Office – Open Office is basically a free version of Microsoft Office. They have most of the same a stuff, it’s just a little bit different.
- Google Docs – Google Docs is like Microsoft Office online. This is what schools are using. You can save all of your material to the cloud. Easily share it with editors, co-authors, etc. And best of all, it’s free (at least at up to a certain amount of usage).
- yWriter – Have you heard of Scrivner? It’s a program for fiction authors that helps them outline, plot, organize, and finally write their novels. yWriter is like that, but free.
Editing is important when it comes to writing and publishing our books. Especially as Christian authors. We want to put our best foot forward. In this section, you’ll find some resources you can use to make your writing shine.
- Scribens – Scribens is a free online grammar/spelling checker. You can copy and paste your writing into it, and it will tell you if you have any run-on sentences or overused words. It will let you know which words you tend to use repeatedly, where you need commas (or don’t need them). And so much more.
- Grammarly – While Grammarly has a premium edition, you can also download it free. It does prove helpful for finding some errors. You can also add it as an add-on to your internet browser, and it will assist you when you are writing online. If you’re writing your books in Google Docs, this could be extra beneficial. But it also helps when penning emails, Facebook comments, and blog posts.
Have you decided whether you will pursue a traditional publishing contract or publish your book on your own? Either way, there is a lot to learn about the publishing industry. In this section, you will find resources to help you along the way.
You’ve heard the saying, “Never judge a book by it’s cover.” But we all know that book covers matter. In fact, graphics in general are a big part of book marketing. In this section, you’ll find resources for purchasing or creating great graphics for your marketing materials.
- Adobe Stock – Adobe Stock is a great place to find quality graphics. It is important to note, that while they have a “safe-search” setting, it does not filter out all of the explicit photos.
- Pixabay – If you are looking for somewhere to find free stock photos, you might try Pixabay. Their photos aren’t as high quality as Adobe Stock, but they are free, so there’s that.
- Photoshop – Photoshop is probably the best graphics editing software available. It’s been around for ages, and they are constantly making improvements.
- Canva– Canva is not Photoshop, but it is a free photo editing software that will work in a pinch.
- Wordswag – Wordswag is a great app for editing photos on your phone. This is especially useful if you use Instagram as part of your book marketing stratagy. I will note that this app isn’t free, but it’s not terribly expensive either.
- eCover Authority– This 3D cover generator can transform your book covers into 3D graphics you can use in your marketing.
- Fiverr – If you aren’t confident in your own design skills, the folks at Fiverr can help. You can even get 20% off your first order by signing up with my referral link.
Every author has to market their book. The tools in this section can help you do just that.
Website & Email List
- InMotion Hosting – If you are looking for a reliable, cost-effective alternative to some of the cheap hosting services, you might want to check out InMotion Hosting. The price is similar to BlueHost, HostGator, and the like, but they have service you can count on. Best of all, if you have a problem, their support staff will help you fix it, not try to sell you a higher priced hosting package.
- Google Domains – Google Domains are quick and easy to purchase. You can point them to any host and best of all, privacy is free.
- Benchmark Email – This is a great email service provider for someone who is just starting out. Their free plan allows you to have up to 2,500 subscribers and send out up to 14,000 emails per month.
- TrafficWave – This is another email service provider. If you never want to worry about your costs, you might want to consider TrafficWave. It doesn’t have as many bells and whistles as some of the other email providers, but it’s always one set fee. No matter how many lists or subscribers you have. It doesn’t matter how many emails you send out. The cost doesn’t change.
- SmartURL– SmartURL allows you to create one link for your books on Amazon that will redirect to any Amazon store. If your reader is in Europe, they will be redirected to the EU store, if they are in Canada, they will be redirected to the Canada site, etc. It’s a great tool that keeps you from losing book sales and getting emails that say, “Hey, I can’t get that here in Australia. Bummer.”
- The Author Marketing Club – The Author Marketing Club has a ton of resources for authors. Including (but not limited to) a free book submission tool, a list of paid promotion sites, book analyzers, cover creators, group promotions, review tools, description enhancers, and more.
- 15+ Places to Promote Your 99cent eBook – This is a list of places to advertise books that are only 99cents.
- 76+ Places to Submit Your Free KDP Select Promotion – Are you doing a free promotion for your eBook? Check out this list of sites that will help you advertise.
- VistaPrint – VistaPrint is a great place to purchase your business cards or other promotinal material.